Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"That's Just Manny Being One Step Above a Common Animal"

Boston slugger Manny Ramirez is such a prankster! According to The Providence Journal, after he was told by team traveling secretary Jack McCormick that McCormick would not be able to get him the 16 free tickets he wanted for Monday night's game, he responded like any jokester would-by shoving McCormick on the ground. What a ham!


Gotcha!


Seriously, you have got to be kidding me. This story hits particularly close to home for me, as a box office worker myself. This kind of stuff is just reprehensible. How much longer can everybody just sit back and say "oh, it's just Manny being Manny, you know, throwing guys half his size to the ground when they tell him something he doesn't want to hear." And the Red Sox have taken next to no disciplinary action, afraid to punish their star hitter before a big series with the Rays. In other words, for doing something that's grounds for dismissal for a McDonald's employee, Manny will take no punishment.

Manager Terry Francona said the matter was handled internally. "This is something that actually happened between friends, and it was handled." (SI.com) Yeah. I frequently push my buddies to the ground when they don't tell me what I want to hear.

When do you stop saying, "Manny being Manny," and start saying, "Manny needing serious psychiatric help?" But I guess the Red Sox don't have much choice-they're in the middle of a series with the first place Rays, and Manny's proven he can be valuable in a fight, especially against a smaller opponent.

--Shylock

2 comments:

Andy said...

Well, I'd be frustrated too if I was two and a half games back behind a team that should by all means suck, despite the fact that my teams spends about 12 times what they do.

What people are forgetting is that Manny has an important weak spot: the dreads. Grab, pull, and watch him go down.

Unknown said...

Manny is still the funniest pro athlete alive. Of course he is not aware of his brilliant comedic timing. However, he is still hilarious and for any proof of this watch the clip of him diving in left field to cut off a throw from CF Johnny Damon. I believe it ended up being an inside the park homerun.